Pages

Fear

Hell on earth is not a place but a state of mind!
Have you lived in fear, cowered when a hand is raised, felt empty and alone, or felt that your life has been stolen from you because anxiety and depression is nipping at your heals? Is your laughter gone? Has your spirit been broken, and the word hope is no longer in your vocabulary? I was once in that dark place of no return. My mind, body, heart and soul were broken into a million pieces, and the fear running through my veins were earth shattering. My brain was numb to all rational thinking and thoughts of suicide were like taking a common every day breath. The only thing that saved me was a moment of clarity to realize that I couldn't leave my young children behind with this person I was married to. My isolation and captivity was complete. I am still in counseling for PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) 3 years later, but I am finding out who I really am for the first time in my life. I am loving, smart, funny, and most of all I have learned that I am a good wife and a good mother after 21 years of hearing I wasn't good enough for anything. My life has been forever changed, and life is good. Challenges still arise, but with my new husband and my family always there for me with unconditional love and support I am
making it one day at a time.
My dream is that one day divorce courts will address mental, verbal and psychological (emotional) abuse as a prosecutable offense. The scars run deep and wide with all forms of abuse, just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.Research is starting to show that mental abuse is longer lasting to its victims than physical abuse. I can now say I am a survivor!
Hope is something I never had, until my escape became a reality not a dream. Hope is now a wonderful word in my vocabulary, and fear is a thing of the past. My number one goal is to finish school with a PHD degree in Pyschology so that I can help women and men, who are still in that dark place of no return and to keep my children safe and showing them that they are loved. I want to show victims that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and a freedom of the soul they never thought possible. Abused women and men need to know that there is life after they go through hell on earth, a traumatic experience, that will forever change who they are and who they can be.

Monday, November 5, 2012

What Are the Risk Factors for Teen Dating Violence?

 
             


Parents should monitor their teens' associates for the sake of their children's safety.


According to the Center for Disease Control website, 72 percent of all eighth and ninth-graders "date" in some form. One quarter of all adolescents report some form of abuse within these relationships, be it physical, mental, emotional or sexual. Signs pointing toward teen dating violence should not be ignored.

 
  1. History of Violence

    • If your child's prospective partner has a history of getting into fights, this may be a sign of things to come. The CDC website suggests that any individual who has a history of aggressive behavior or bullying should raise a red flag.

    Witness to Violence

    • According to the Witness for Youth website, a child who has witnessed violence in the home is more likely to inflict violence when he is older with a partner of his own. Based on the signals the child has received from his parents, behaviors such as hitting, kicking, and other acts of violence may seem like justifiable means of resolving conflict.

    Low Self Esteem and Depression

    • If you have not instilled in your child the feeling that she is special and deserves to have a person in her life who treats her with love and respect then your child may be at risk for maltreatment at the hands of a future partner. According to the CDC website, not only teenagers with low self-esteem are in the high-risk group, but also those who are depressed.

    Traditional Role Beliefs

    • According to the CDC Fact Sheet, an adolescent with a more traditional opinion of the societal roles of males is more likely to engage in dating violence. This is particularly true of young men who, based on their upbringing, believe that men are supposed to dominate and control women.

    Community Violence

    • If you are in a community that has witnessed a lot of violence and murder, your teen is more likely to end up in a relationship with someone who believe that violence is the way to solve problems. In such a situation, it is important to know all of your child's friends and associates.

    Alcohol and Drugs

    • If your teen's friend has a history of drugs and underage drinking, according to the CDC, this is a red flag. Drugs can cloud the user's perception of reality which can lead to unpredictable or violent behavior.



Read more: What Are the Risk Factors for Teen Dating Violence? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6517024_risk-factors-teen-dating-violence_.html#ixzz2BMRDK6gI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcomed. Let me here from you on your stories or information that can be added to my posts for more information.