Pages

Fear

Hell on earth is not a place but a state of mind!
Have you lived in fear, cowered when a hand is raised, felt empty and alone, or felt that your life has been stolen from you because anxiety and depression is nipping at your heals? Is your laughter gone? Has your spirit been broken, and the word hope is no longer in your vocabulary? I was once in that dark place of no return. My mind, body, heart and soul were broken into a million pieces, and the fear running through my veins were earth shattering. My brain was numb to all rational thinking and thoughts of suicide were like taking a common every day breath. The only thing that saved me was a moment of clarity to realize that I couldn't leave my young children behind with this person I was married to. My isolation and captivity was complete. I am still in counseling for PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) 3 years later, but I am finding out who I really am for the first time in my life. I am loving, smart, funny, and most of all I have learned that I am a good wife and a good mother after 21 years of hearing I wasn't good enough for anything. My life has been forever changed, and life is good. Challenges still arise, but with my new husband and my family always there for me with unconditional love and support I am
making it one day at a time.
My dream is that one day divorce courts will address mental, verbal and psychological (emotional) abuse as a prosecutable offense. The scars run deep and wide with all forms of abuse, just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.Research is starting to show that mental abuse is longer lasting to its victims than physical abuse. I can now say I am a survivor!
Hope is something I never had, until my escape became a reality not a dream. Hope is now a wonderful word in my vocabulary, and fear is a thing of the past. My number one goal is to finish school with a PHD degree in Pyschology so that I can help women and men, who are still in that dark place of no return and to keep my children safe and showing them that they are loved. I want to show victims that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and a freedom of the soul they never thought possible. Abused women and men need to know that there is life after they go through hell on earth, a traumatic experience, that will forever change who they are and who they can be.

Monday, November 5, 2012

How to Prevent Teen Dating Violence

          


Identifying abuse in a relationship is an important step to saving a life.


For women between the ages of 15 and 44, violence in the relationship is the No. 1 cause of injury, according to the Washington State Office of the Attorney General. Teenagers experience this violence every day. Many teens mistake domestic abuse for love and believe that hitting is normal in a relationship. Teen dating violence is described as physical, emotional or sexual abuse. Young women in abusive relationships often have a difficult time leaving their abusers. However, there are a few things that you can do to help someone out of this situation.

 
 

Instructions

    • 1
      Identify the signs of abuse. Physical and sexual abuse are easier to recognize, however, emotional abuse is equally as dangerous. Identifying that someone is in an abusive relationship is an important step to saving a life. Looking for the physical signs of abuse is the first step, the Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence says. Unexplained bruises or broken bones are indicative of domestic violence. Also, notice any drastic changes in attitude or personality. Immediately address any changes in behavior or if you notice signs of isolation and depression.
    • 2
      Communicate and develop a safety plan, the Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence urges. Set in place a plan of action in case she's in danger. Give her a list of numbers that she can call in an emergency. Include addresses of safe meeting places in the area. In addition, tell her neighbors about the violence and ask them to call the police if they hear any sounds of abuse. If an argument occurs, advise her to leave the house immediately. Also, instruct her to scream and call for help if she can't leave.
    • 3
      Seek professional help. Young women are susceptible to emotional damage because of domestic violence. Victims of violence often start drinking, attempt suicide and engage in risky behavior, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Advise her to talk to her guidance counselor if she is having trouble in school. She should also talk to a therapist to help prevent abusive relationships in the future



Read more: How to Prevent Teen Dating Violence | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8200710_prevent-teen-dating-violence.html#ixzz2BMPJsVoW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcomed. Let me here from you on your stories or information that can be added to my posts for more information.