Pages

Fear

Hell on earth is not a place but a state of mind!
Have you lived in fear, cowered when a hand is raised, felt empty and alone, or felt that your life has been stolen from you because anxiety and depression is nipping at your heals? Is your laughter gone? Has your spirit been broken, and the word hope is no longer in your vocabulary? I was once in that dark place of no return. My mind, body, heart and soul were broken into a million pieces, and the fear running through my veins were earth shattering. My brain was numb to all rational thinking and thoughts of suicide were like taking a common every day breath. The only thing that saved me was a moment of clarity to realize that I couldn't leave my young children behind with this person I was married to. My isolation and captivity was complete. I am still in counseling for PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) 3 years later, but I am finding out who I really am for the first time in my life. I am loving, smart, funny, and most of all I have learned that I am a good wife and a good mother after 21 years of hearing I wasn't good enough for anything. My life has been forever changed, and life is good. Challenges still arise, but with my new husband and my family always there for me with unconditional love and support I am
making it one day at a time.
My dream is that one day divorce courts will address mental, verbal and psychological (emotional) abuse as a prosecutable offense. The scars run deep and wide with all forms of abuse, just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.Research is starting to show that mental abuse is longer lasting to its victims than physical abuse. I can now say I am a survivor!
Hope is something I never had, until my escape became a reality not a dream. Hope is now a wonderful word in my vocabulary, and fear is a thing of the past. My number one goal is to finish school with a PHD degree in Pyschology so that I can help women and men, who are still in that dark place of no return and to keep my children safe and showing them that they are loved. I want to show victims that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and a freedom of the soul they never thought possible. Abused women and men need to know that there is life after they go through hell on earth, a traumatic experience, that will forever change who they are and who they can be.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

I’ve written about abuse and violence many times in the past, and still receive emails daily with horrific accounts of disrespectful and abusive treatment. Disrespect in marriage is a common theme of those who write or come to work with me at The Marriage Recovery Center.
One writer recently took me to task for focusing on abuse in men, while seeming to ignore abuse in women. He felt that I ignored the impact angry women can have on their husband. As a response, I decided to print this recent email.
Dr. David. My wife has always been moody, but lately she seems even more irrational. Anything I say seems to set her off. One day she seems to be okay, and the next it’s like someone else has taken over. I don’t know what to make of it. I know I don’t react the best, because her moods make me upset, and I end up snapping back at her.
I’ve been reading your articles and you seem to focus on men being angry. What should happen if it’s your wife? What should a man do if he feels that his wife gets angry for no reason? What if the man doesn’t feel like he is respected? To be honest, I’m ready to give up because I can’t be enough for her. Everything I do is wrong and I’ve asked her why she wants to stay with a man who she sees as having so many problems. She constantly criticizes me, and then wonders why I don’t want to be close to her.
Dr. David. I think you should make it clear that women also have anger problems. You need to also let women know that men must feel respected by their wife. If they feel they have lost their wife’s respect, it won’t be long before they feel like leaving, which is the case for me.
--A Discouraged Man
First, this email confirms abuse and disrespect occurs with both men and women. While the statistics still point to men reverting to physical abuse more frequently than women, many women have also learned how to be emotionally abusive and disrespectful of men. Abuse is no respecter of gender. Women may not be overtly violent as frequently as men, but many women have learned ways to express anger passive-aggressively through criticism, moodiness and irritability.
Second, any form of disrespect is intolerable. As noted in the above Scriptures, our marriage should be a safe haven, a place of refuge from the struggles in our world. Marriage should be a place where we are accepted and appreciated, not denigrated and disrespected.
Because disrespect is intolerable, it is critical that you set boundaries on it. When your wife criticizes you, don’t snap back. Rather, let her know firmly that you will respond to her only when she talks respectfully to you.
Third, explore underlying reasons for her anger and moodiness. These symptoms sound consistent with unhappiness and possible depression. Could it be that she feels rejected by you? Are there plausible hormonal explanations that should be considered and explored? Though she has inadvertently created a world where you push her away, still this cannot feel good to her. Might it also be possible that she is overwhelmed with responsibility, tired or discouraged herself? Can you take the “higher road” and help her explore why she is so unhappy?
Finally, seek professional help. Yes, I promote professional help frequently, mostly because we don’t do well at solving our own problems. In your case, these problems are bigger than both of you. Your wife must learn that she is sabotaging her marriage. Before letting the walls of distrust and frustration get any higher, and you consider throwing your marriage away, take more decisive action. Set limits on your wife’s behavior and invite her into a counseling process.
Are you in a marriage where you feel disrespected? We’d love to hear from you. Share your opinion or send a confidential note to me at TheRelationshipDoctor@Gmail.com and read more about The Marriage Recovery Center on my website, www.YourRelationshipDoctor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcomed. Let me here from you on your stories or information that can be added to my posts for more information.