Pages

Fear

Hell on earth is not a place but a state of mind!
Have you lived in fear, cowered when a hand is raised, felt empty and alone, or felt that your life has been stolen from you because anxiety and depression is nipping at your heals? Is your laughter gone? Has your spirit been broken, and the word hope is no longer in your vocabulary? I was once in that dark place of no return. My mind, body, heart and soul were broken into a million pieces, and the fear running through my veins were earth shattering. My brain was numb to all rational thinking and thoughts of suicide were like taking a common every day breath. The only thing that saved me was a moment of clarity to realize that I couldn't leave my young children behind with this person I was married to. My isolation and captivity was complete. I am still in counseling for PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) 3 years later, but I am finding out who I really am for the first time in my life. I am loving, smart, funny, and most of all I have learned that I am a good wife and a good mother after 21 years of hearing I wasn't good enough for anything. My life has been forever changed, and life is good. Challenges still arise, but with my new husband and my family always there for me with unconditional love and support I am
making it one day at a time.
My dream is that one day divorce courts will address mental, verbal and psychological (emotional) abuse as a prosecutable offense. The scars run deep and wide with all forms of abuse, just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.Research is starting to show that mental abuse is longer lasting to its victims than physical abuse. I can now say I am a survivor!
Hope is something I never had, until my escape became a reality not a dream. Hope is now a wonderful word in my vocabulary, and fear is a thing of the past. My number one goal is to finish school with a PHD degree in Pyschology so that I can help women and men, who are still in that dark place of no return and to keep my children safe and showing them that they are loved. I want to show victims that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and a freedom of the soul they never thought possible. Abused women and men need to know that there is life after they go through hell on earth, a traumatic experience, that will forever change who they are and who they can be.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

More families seek help at local domestic violence shelter

 
Reported by: Sergio Avila
Share
Updated: 12/25 6:56 pm
 
LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3) -- This holiday season has been a busy one for those trying to lend a helping hand to struggling families.

The Shade Tree says starting from Thanksgiving, it has seen an influx of children to the shelter like officials have never seen before.

Management at The Shade Tree says any type of stressers like the holidays could lead to an increase in domestic violence.

They say that could be part of the reason for more children ending up at their shelters, but they also feel more people are reporting abuse.

Even with the influx of mothers and their children, The Shade Tree has been handling it well.

The shelter is near capacity, but they do all they can to help anyone who needs it.

As unfortunate as it is to have that need grow, they see it as an encouraging sign because mothers and their children are leaving dangerous situations.

They attribute much of the increase to awareness because people are reporting being in abusive relationships more often.

Desiree Petersen of shade tree tells us there's no sign of that need slowing down.

“Usually it's about maybe 90 to 95 children we're seeing on an average week,” Petersen said. “I would say starting Thanksgiving around the holiday we saw an increase of children up to about 120, 130.”

Petersen says they have women as young as 18 and as old as 73 at the shelter.

Vera Johnson and her 3-year-old daughter, Dericka, came to the shade tree just a few months ago. She saw it as an opportunity to get back on her feet.

“They've been very helpful with me,” Johnson said. ”Now I'm working, and now I'm just trying to save some money and get in to my own place.”

On this Christmas day, volunteers from the Jewish Federation were serving up a holiday meal for these women and their children.

Although they're struggling, Johnson says these acts of kindness are uplifting.

“They have a lot of different places that come out here and provide their services and give us a good comfort feeling of that somebody out there cares, and it's wonderful,” Johnson said.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcomed. Let me here from you on your stories or information that can be added to my posts for more information.