Pages

Fear

Hell on earth is not a place but a state of mind!
Have you lived in fear, cowered when a hand is raised, felt empty and alone, or felt that your life has been stolen from you because anxiety and depression is nipping at your heals? Is your laughter gone? Has your spirit been broken, and the word hope is no longer in your vocabulary? I was once in that dark place of no return. My mind, body, heart and soul were broken into a million pieces, and the fear running through my veins were earth shattering. My brain was numb to all rational thinking and thoughts of suicide were like taking a common every day breath. The only thing that saved me was a moment of clarity to realize that I couldn't leave my young children behind with this person I was married to. My isolation and captivity was complete. I am still in counseling for PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) 3 years later, but I am finding out who I really am for the first time in my life. I am loving, smart, funny, and most of all I have learned that I am a good wife and a good mother after 21 years of hearing I wasn't good enough for anything. My life has been forever changed, and life is good. Challenges still arise, but with my new husband and my family always there for me with unconditional love and support I am
making it one day at a time.
My dream is that one day divorce courts will address mental, verbal and psychological (emotional) abuse as a prosecutable offense. The scars run deep and wide with all forms of abuse, just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist.Research is starting to show that mental abuse is longer lasting to its victims than physical abuse. I can now say I am a survivor!
Hope is something I never had, until my escape became a reality not a dream. Hope is now a wonderful word in my vocabulary, and fear is a thing of the past. My number one goal is to finish school with a PHD degree in Pyschology so that I can help women and men, who are still in that dark place of no return and to keep my children safe and showing them that they are loved. I want to show victims that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and a freedom of the soul they never thought possible. Abused women and men need to know that there is life after they go through hell on earth, a traumatic experience, that will forever change who they are and who they can be.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Early signs of aggression and antisocial behavior is children

Early Signs of Aggression and Antisocial Behavior in Children

 
Jul 31, 2011 | By Becky Swain
Becky Swain's first publication appeared in the "Journal of Personality Assessment" in 1984. Her articles have also appeared on various websites. She is an adjunct college instructor, licensed school psychologist and educational consultant. She holds a Master of Science in clinical psychology and a Doctor of Philosophy in educational psychology, both from Mississippi State University.
Most children learn to respond to frustration and anger without aggression.
Photo Credit Digital Vision/Valueline/Getty Images
Bullying, hitting, biting and issuing demands are aggressive behaviors that elicit attention and concern from parents and caregivers. Although toddlers and preschool children may demonstrate aggressive or antisocial behavior in response to frustration, anger and threats, most school-age children replace aggression with socially appropriate behavior. After you have learned to recognize the early signs of aggression and antisocial behavior, you can involve your pediatrician in assisting in identifying problems and treating your child.

Behavior Disorders

A pattern of aggressive, antisocial or disruptive behaviors exhibited for more than six months distinguishes behavior disorders from other behavior management challenges. These disorders, which include oppositional defiant disorder, or ODD, and conduct disorder, may exert a negative influence upon your child's school achievement, family dynamics and peer relationships. The American Academy of Pediatrics reports that the problems associated with the disorders typically increase in severity and frequency without specific treatment interventions. Consistent defiance of authority, threatening or hurting people or pets, tantrums, lying, stealing and destroying property comprise some of the warning signs of child behavior disorders.

Symptoms of ODD

Although ODD is a separate disorder, approximately one-third of all children with attention- deficit hyperactivity disorder also have the additional diagnosis of ODD. Symptoms of ODD include instigating conflict, blaming others for problems, arguing with adults or authority figures, anger management problems and ignoring rules. A child with ODD may appear belligerent, resentful and vindictive. Early diagnosis provides the child with learning opportunities to manage and replace the inappropriate behaviors. Without early diagnosis and intervention, the behaviors typical of ODD may increase in severity and lead to conduct disorder.

Symptoms of Conduct Disorder

Children infrequently exhibit the serious antisocial behaviors associated with conduct disorder. Approximately one-fourth of children with conduct disorder have a separate diagnosis of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Symptoms of conduct disorder include setting fires, abusing or torturing animals, running away from home, skipping school and making deliberate attempts to physically or emotionally harm people. Early diagnosis and treatment decreases the child's risk for developing a negative self-image and aligning with peers who demonstrate similar problems.

Implications for Parents

Most children learn to replace aggressive, antisocial behavior with socially appropriate behavior before age 5. The American Academy of Pediatrics indicates that learning to manage feelings of anger and coping with frustration are crucial tasks of early childhood. However, if your child exhibits a pattern of aggressive, antisocial or disruptive behaviors that present a threat to herself, you or others, consult her pediatrician or a mental health professional who specializes in children's behavior problems.


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/506618-early-signs-of-aggression-and-antisocial-behavior-in-children/#ixzz2TUOeuVxR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcomed. Let me here from you on your stories or information that can be added to my posts for more information.